One of the only knocks against Flickr’s new geotagging service has been the lack of detailed maps for non-U.S. locations. It’s good to see that they’re making progress on expanding the maps. When I saw that they recently added maps for Bora Bora I decided to upload my honeymoon photos from 5 years ago. Check them out on a map here.
Entries Tagged as 'Maps'
September 27th, 2006 · No Comments
February 20th, 2006 · No Comments
Recently added to the Historical San Francisco Map:
February 6th, 2006 · No Comments
- Playland Amusement Park
- Kezar Stadium
- Portola Drive
- Buried ship Candace
- Meigg’s Wharf
- Broadway Wharf
- Potrero Point
- Panama-Pacific International Exposition
- Seals Stadium
January 30th, 2006 · No Comments
I came across this cool
Web 2.0 Innovation Map on Google Maps Mania. Zoom into your part of the country to find Web 2.0 sites/services in your area. A couple of weeks ago, I created something similar to this on a much, much smaller scale (SF Bay Area only) on Wayfaring.
January 14th, 2006 · No Comments
May 4, 2012 Update:
I’m working on a new version of this map on Companies Near Me. The site is still a work in progress but please take a look and let me know what you think.
I was thinking recently about the idea of a Google Maps mash-up with a job search site, such as Hot Jobs or Monster.com. The idea would be that you could enter in some kind of search filterting criteria – type of company, company size, public vs private, tag names, etc. The filtering would also include a commute radius – e.g. 30 miles. The search result would be a Google map showing the companies that met your search criteria. If you drill down on the map “balloons” you would get a brief description of the company, a link to the job postings, etc. I’ve used the excellent Wayfaring site to show an example of how the resulting map might look:
One of the cool features of Warfaring is community maps. Any registered Wayfarer user can edit a community map, sort of like a Wiki. If you’d like to add your company to the SF Bay Area Tech Companies map, just follow these steps:
- First, sign up for a new Wayfaring account if you don’t already have one
- Go to the SF Bay Area Tech Companies map
- Click on the Edit Map button (towards the bottom of the page)
- Click on Add a Waypoint
- Type in the company name in the Name field
- Type in the Address for the company or click on the map.
Make sure to use the map zoom function if you are clicking on the map.
- Type in Tags (optional). For example, sanfrancisco, acmesoftware, companies, etc.
- Type in a Description. HTML tags are supported on this. Here’s the info that I’ve used for other companies:Short description of the companyJobs link. Use this html:<a
- Click Done
- Click the Save Map button
- If you scroll down the list of Waypoints, you should see the new company. You might need to refresh your browser if you don’t see it in the list.
- To add a logo for your company, click on the company name in the Waypoint list
- Next to Photos, click upload
- Click Browse next to Photo 1 and select the logo file for the company. Click Submit.